Killer Whales - Petition to Designate as Depleted
Petition to Designate the AT1 Group of Transient Killer Whales as a Depleted Stock Under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA)
- Final rule to designate the AT1 group of transient killer whales as a depleted stock of marine mammals. Effective July 6, 2004.
- Proposed depleted designation of the AT1 group of transient killer whales. Comment period through January 22, 2004.
- AT1 Status Review, July 2003
- Notice of Finding - NMFS reviews a petition concerning the possibility that the AT1 killer whale group of Prince William Sound may be genetically distinct from other killer whales in Alaska, and may be depleted, January 24, 2003.
National Wildlife Federation (NWF) petition to designate the AT1 group of transient killer whales as depleted, November 13, 2002.
- News Release - October 27, 2003
- News Release - January 24, 2003
- 67 FR 70407, November 22, 2002. Notice of receipt of petition to designate a group (called the AT1 group) of killer whales (Orcinus orca) as a depleted stock under the MMPA. Public comment period closed December 23, 2002.
- 42 FR 12010, March 1, 1977. Final regulations governing the taking and importing of marine mammals.
- 42 FR 64548, December 27, 1977. Final regulations governing the taking and importing of marine mammals.
- 45 FR 72178, October 31, 1980. Final regulations governing the taking and importing of marine mammals.
- Population structure and genetic variability in Northeastern Pacific killer whales: An assessment of population viability, Barrett-Lennard, L.G. and Wllis, G.M. 2001, Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Research and Oceans, Research document 2001/065, Nanaimo, B.C. Canada (1.2 MB)
- NMFS Stock Assessment Reports